Sunday, January 22, 2017

YYC (Calgary International Airport): Other Airports Take Note

On my way from foggy Toronto to Kelowna, I stopped in a similar foggy Calgary to connect.  We arrived nearly a half hour early, begging the question do pilots know short cuts? As with any set of new surroundings, I explore.

Upon my first steps away from the gate and through terminal C, the first professional sports team memorabilia I see was the green Saskatchewan Roughhriders.

My first surprise was coming across the elaborate shuttle service connecting terminals A through to the newer US and international D and E.  Essentially large, white, electric go karts carrying approximately eight people, the shuttles are piloted by friendly, red jacketed drivers that welcome you like a hop-on hop-off bus tour complete with microphone head set. Like a kid first discovering what model trains are about, I had to take a ride. 

As it weaved its way along the windy route (I couldnt help but think about driving along it in a real go kart), during this short commute I  heard an announcement for two late passengers for the Saskatoon flight that reminded them (and the entire airport) in a firm, prairie friendly tone yet not so politically sugarcoated choice of words as you would find in the the larger airports that 'the entire flight had boarded....and was waiting for you".  I would not want to be those two passengers to board that plane load of grumpy Riderville passengers.

Although construction is ongoing, YYC is a comfortable, stress free, modern airport that once completed will be a joy to pass through, depart or arrive. 

No comments:

Post a Comment