Thursday, March 16, 2023

Quebec City: Canada's Finest Place to Vacation, Explore, Be Active, Learn

TO EDIT

 As part of a conference in mid-June, I took my first flight since January 2020.  Although a short one.  Airports were in the throes of bad baggage handling, security and customs management, so I unusually headed to the aiport four hours before my departure.  I avoid cabs and traffic if I can so took the GO Train downtown to Union then the punctual Union Pearson Express.  Ironically, from the point of stepping off the Union Pearson Express train, walking down the platform, down the stairs, into Terminal 1, to the back for security, through security and grabbing my wallet, laptop, phone and carry on was a total of 13 minutes!  Regardless, the random people en route to the airport just stopped in areas that you would not normally see was bewildering (and stressful).  So I had some more time than I expected which meant wander around the terminal to notice any changes, buy some needed socks appropriate for a suit (didn't have the laundry completed in time) and a beer and something to eat (expensed to the company) at Mill St.  After receiving the wrong BBQ chicken sandwich (although good) in place of a pulled pork I discovered the next door shop of Johnson and Murphy.  I passed by their TD Centre location hundreds of times but never really knew what kind of store it was.  Impressed.  

Arriving in Quebec was as expected...late.  We sat on tarmac for about an hour (for an hour and a half flight) while watching the remnants of a Colorado/Tampa Bay Stanely Cup final game.  In Quebec, it appeared we were one of the last flights.  With no checked luggage I immediately marched past the luggage carousel and outside to find the taxi line.  It had been about 10 years since my last time in Quebec City so remembered the then-new Jean Lesage Airport.  Lucky I had no checked baggage as there were only about three cabs available. With most people still inside waiting for their luggage, I managed to obtain one of them with a driver that claimed to know where he was going and after confirming he accepted Visa or American Express, requested cash and proceeded to talk to his mate on speaker phone in Arabic.  

I arrived late at the Hilton which I had known from previous trips for half marathons.  The renovated lobby was a nice surpriese after a delayed flight.  I checked in, went upstairs, put things away, checked schedule for the next day and conked out around 2:00am. 

The inagural conference started on Fathers' Day Sunday.  One reason why the turnout had been low in addition to its inaugural status.  Regardless, I was happy to walk the sunny, hilly streets of Quebec past the Assemble National, past the Chateau Laurier Hotel where I could see the St. Hubert restaurant that I knew I would be going for a hot chicken sandwich, and arrivign at a building I had never visited before - the Armoury or Manège militaire.  A beautiful barracks style building that had a stunning roof structure unfortunately due to the fire that burned in 2008. 

After the friendly registration and schedule printed off, I enjoyed the different kind of breakfast serving for a conference - especialy the coissants!!!! the usual eggs, and grilled vegetalbe offerings with pastries and muffins.  BUT THE BAKED GOODS AT A QUEBEC CITY CONFERENCE - INCROYABLE! Lunch, the same.  As it was an inaugural year, there was no main or feature luncheon with a guest speaker, but the usual offerings of quartered sandwiches but with some fantastic seafood pasta offerings, mini-buffet style.  Whethere covid related or not - packaged nuts, trail mix, etc - this lunch was made for guys like me! Then, the evening events happened on the Sunday and Monday.  A sponsored event in the grand rooms of the Cheteau Frontenac.  But again, the food offered, a la mini-buffet style was incredible.  The first night had the selecion of mini lobster tacos, hors d'ouevres but also a poutine bar! This conferenc was made for guys like me! The next night, the same with a carvery in place of the poutine! I joined some attendees that just hung out at the end by the carvery and ate the perfectly cooked prime rib.  Forgetting the vegetables.  Drinks were all from the sponsored group both evenings with a unique drink for both events.  Then of course, attendees go out afterward.  First night involved a stop at Mixology for "cocktails" which became local beers anyway ending up at St. Patrick.  The next night involved staying at the Chateau Frontenac in the 1608 bar, where we enjoyed a drink together sitting down at the "round bar" overlooking the St. Lawrence River - ONE OF MY FAVOURITE VIEWS OF CANADA.  

Afher the conference was finished Tuesday afternoon, and a succesful one (not just for an inaugural one), I remained in Quebec City for three days to see what happens during a St. Jean Bapiste day (June 24th) in the province's capital city.  By this point my ear was warmed up discerning the rhythm of Quebecois French and I had an enthusiasm with every interaction whether it was checking into a hotel or ordering a drink or asking where the bathroom was or asnwering "a table for how many" or ordering from a menu.  

From Wednesday (Rather than fly back anyway) to Thurday I "worked from home/hotel", while at night I enjoyed aimlessly wandering the loop around old Quebec from inside the wall at -- down to the Chateau, around to Pub St. Patrick and up to Paillard and Chocolats as well as the Grand Allee.  Looking at my Garmin watch afterwards, I was averaging well above the 10,000 steps/day, and cracked 25,000!  Needless to say, the glutes and hamstrings were feeling sore after this little jaunt  

On the Wednesday I 


June 22

shopping - 12:12 Simons

12:43Pm Plaisirs Saveurs (fudge? Champlain?) 

9:08pm Murphy's pub 

Juen 23

beers/food 

9:55pm chocolat favoris

June 24

shopping - Maison Smith (old square, lower town?)

8:54 pm Pantoute bought phrase books 

beers/food

 - resto le Repaire 6::09pm

11:12 pm st patrick (avalanche)?

June 25 

drinks/ food 

12:53am snack bar Saint Jean , 

3:18pm chez ashton

12:44pm 1884 (croissant, old square in lwoer town? )

shopping - Magasin P A Gagnon (2:06pm)

12:25 Simons -shorts 

12:36pm - Kiosque Frotnenac (waiting for tour?)

12:36pm parks Canada tour of original chateau 

4:44pm - Boutique t-Dingue

No comments:

Post a Comment