Friday, May 26, 2017

Around the World...in 15 Days

(Originally drafted May 8th, 2017; however, was not able to be posted through Blogger and was subsequently copied and pasted here) 

Thanks to an uncertain employment situation, a recent move back to Toronto, a (somewhat) less expensive deal that was offered from Flight Centre, I am on my way "around the world" on a set of long haul flights.  Although the cities were pre-selected, the flights with exception of Toronto to San Francisco, are all on Singapore Airlines, of which I have read and heard a lot of positive things.  I have never flown before with this airline (and thankfully, part of the Star Alliance for Aeroplan points!).  
The successive cities are as follows: Hong Kong, Bali, Singapore, Frankfurt and New York. All are cities/countries I have never travelled through before (with exception of New York), which was another reason in taking on this travel schedule.  

As I leave from Toronto (YYZ), I have a connection in San Francisco (SFO) before the 14 hours and 20 minutes flight to Hong Kong.  Currently I'm on the only Air Canada leg to San Francisco, and as I normally do on Air Canada flights I try to watch the film choices under Franco Cinema (some to improve my listening ear, others are in English sub titles so I can fall asleep with ear plugs in and not the crappy ear phones to listen).  The movie I caught was called "Votez Bougon" and even in English sub titles the outrageous political themes and concepts will strike a nerve.  The movie is about a motley family on welfare with variously checked they pull to "increase their wealth" on a temporary basis. After much whinging and complaining at the TV, the always dishevelled, Molson Export drinking M. Bougon suddenly finds himself on a talk show spewing his complaints of political corruption coming from a place of real life experiences and mops up a long time serving Quebec politician on a well known talk show. From there a blue collar party was formed, an intentionally phallic party name chosen and his unlikely election campaign results in him becoming premier. 


A few words about the SFO on the 14 hours and 20 minutes flight to Hong Kong....

No comments:

Post a Comment