Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Singapore, a "Fine" City: The Land of Rules and Cleanliness

Another great flight with Singapore Airlines SQ 943 and a pleasant entry through customs.

The Shuttle bus to Hotel was only S$9.00 (C$9.00). I Was told it would take an hour (the same as public transit according to google maps ) due to "all the hotel stops".  As I boarded along with one item passenger my outlook had changed and I was at the hotel in about half that time.

The shuttle bus option was a more scenic affair taking the boulevard leading out of the airport with its palm tree lined thoroughfare.

Before boarding, the shuttle bus driver instantly reminded me there is no eating on the bus as his XRay vision must have seen the candies in the bag I had for my nephew and niece. Also, a firm order for seatbelts on otherwise a fine of S$120. Not sure for him or the tourists. Welcome to rule filled Singapore.

As we headed from the eastern part of the city to the western end, the tall skyscrapers started to appear along with other unique architecture. From afar, the city has a Star Wars like metropolis feel especially as the Marina Bay and Gardens areas come into view

Arriving at the 4 star (according to Hotwire, nothing was 4 star above the lobby and gym / pool on the second floor) Studio M hotel, I checked into my first room that was nowhere near the pictures on line and smelled musty. I changed my room to a higher,  less smelling room. Regardless only two days in Singapore I needed to venture out. And just in time for....Happy hour!

The hotel was situated conveniently along the Singapore river, a good starting point for a walk to have one's bearings straight. Along the strip by the water are excellent choices of many different types of restaurants - bistros, taco shacks, Aussie sports bars, casual dining and finer dining. As I was taking in my surroundings I was buzzed by motorized scooters three times before I made note to be more focused. It is also a runner's heaven as I'm sure most were taking advantage of the "cooler"  afternoon air.

As I settled into Boomerang for a quick " happy hour middy" (S$7.00) then Go Loco for a quick taco snack (S$8.00) I was reminded I was in one of the world's most expensive cities. 

I later followed the river walk through to Clarke Quay, and on the other side of the river where there is another strip of restaurants where I settled into Dallas for a somewhat less expensive chicken penne (S$24) when
suddenly a fire alarm had engaged on the patio next to me if the next restaurant. In other words above my head. (My first thought was how hot is this food?)

I wandered close to Marina Bay and its three monolithic yet adjoined buildings connected by a ship looking structure on the top. I took several photos of the light and music show that occurs nightly.  A spectacular event to which I happened to show up at the right time.

Like a moth to light I was attracted to the building and light display and continued to cross the water over the bridge to walk around its base. While continuing to walk I found a lively food market and had to check it out. Being a cautious water when I travel I had foregone most options from a visual perspective but settled on something like an Indian chicken and vegetable pancake with a spicy curry sauce (S$7) and a Tiger Radler (S$3).  Delicious! Why I was still hungry, I'll have to blame on travelling and jet lag. Satisfied form my food curiosity I aprox she star bridge for my final steps to the base of Marina Bay and discovering the lower levels were a colossal high end shopping area. Taking an air conditioning break I wandered across one quarter for one of the several floors and quickly grasped this was beyond colossal or huge or humungus.  With no patience for recognition of brand names I wandered out the other end to loop around - - - -  and back toward the strip of restaurants.

I walked back through the lively Clarke Quay,  looking for love music. I settled in at the Crazy Elephant where there was a band comprised of members mainly in their late 50s cranking out Bobby McGee and other such vocal classics headed by a lovely lady who could belt it out like Janice Joplin.

The next morning I wanted to put some running into my vacation. I started later than I hoped but after a quick instant oatmeal breakfast (I never travel with our them, and every hotel has a kettle and a coffee mug) I had the shoes on and headed out into the humidity, worse than the day before, along the river.  Free firm a half marathon before leaving Toronto, my pace time according to my Garmin watch for the 6km "touring" run was...disastrous, although a better at to see a city.

Upon returning to the hotel I had to hit the pool as the humidity had done what it does -  either makes your hair curly (my hair is not that long), or sweat abnormally.  After laying on the cabana style chairs and taking a "sel-feet" photo, I heard upstairs to find my room cleaned to a standard less than expected (now is this place a four star?).

After a shower (and cooling down) I ventured out to Raffles Hotel for the word famous Singapore Sling.  As I meandered through the same neighbourhoods eventually veering north into new territory I could not help notice how hotter it was then the previous day.

Before arriving,  lunch called and I found a decent German place that had a pulled pork  special for S$12, and with beer, tax too was S$32. Across the street was Raffles and I walked along its edge located on ---- street and headed to the Bar and Billiards room. Just like something you've seen in the movies from the 40s. Or earlier.

I was seated at the infamous bar and within minutes ordered and was served the world famous cocktail from the world famous bar. Sadly I don't think they have happy hour prices  there. Ever.

With that checked off the list I headed to the post office to post a couple of post cards, one to my nephew. I sought out directions to Gardens by the Bay, an Avatar looking playground with a connecting walkway which must be seen at night. I was keen on walking but everyone I asked for directions was recommending the MRT (subway). Which I did. However, by the time you enter these subways, four floors underground I started to wonder whether it was actually quicker.

After a fair jaunt that included the machine taking my money without providing a ticket, I went on my way to the Garden that was a great spot to take photos of the city and of course the Mammoth Marina Bay Sands. I also bought the ticket (S$8) for the walk "between the trees".

Impacted by the hear and sun I headed straight for the Shoppes at Marina Bay to cool down.  from there, rather than walk I took the MRT to Chinatown (again I don't think it saves any time) then walked to Clarke Quay,  and bought a water at the first 7-11 I could find. With that downed I though it prudent to eat dinner before heading back.  And it was happy hour. So Brewerkz it was. A fantastic brewpub where I ordered the best grilled chicken sandwich of my life!  With that downed and consolidating some photos of the trip so far, I went back to my hotel.

Dropping off some gifts at the hotel, I quickly showed, checked some emails, tried to order my shuttle bus for the next morning then headed out to soak up the last of Singapore.

I was drawn back to Clarke Quay with always a lively scene, live bands, plenty of food and drink choices. 

My final morning, I spent some time by the pool on the second floor (that and the lobby only make this place seem a 4 star hotel, watch for my Trip Advisor rating) and after packing up it wq time to leave. As the shuttle bus was full until a later time slot than was needed I booked an Uber ride (S$18) with JC.  Another informative driver this time a little too late for me but had told me where all the "cheap" places were to eat and  out of the way places to see. I told him what I accomplished in my two days and he agreed it was a good taste. After explaining the presence of cameras and the police will eventually catch up to you for anything, he described Singapore as a "Fine" City -  a fine for this and a fine for that.

Checking in to Singapore airport was a Breeze again and sailed through customs.  Baggage screening is done at the gate so alleviates the bottleneck of most airports and a much less dating line of you are a few minutes late.

A quick stop at the Plaza Premium Lounge (where I had been before) and off to gate A12 of Terminal 3 for flight SQ 326 to Frankfurt Germany. Not a very busy flight and three seats all to myself! The Economy Business class.

No comments:

Post a Comment